Sunday, March 1, 2009

Let the Adventure Begin


As some of you know my husband was laid off the week before Christmas. Well after searching, calling, flying and a lot of PRAYING.....God is leading us to a new location. Drumroll please.......We are moving to Florida!!!! I KNOW!!!!

I never thought this Midwest girl would move out of the Midwest....that is what I get for thinking. I will have to say that I wasn't that thrilled when The Donner first mentioned that there was a job down there he was going to apply for. I had always envisioned that we would move back to Iowa and buy a small farm to play around on........again it was my vision and it isn't usually very clear.

I am a prayer or maybe I should say a bargainer......I am very good at telling God what I want and how I want it and He is very generous to listen and even indulge me on occasion.......but when I get what I want, it doesn't always work out the way I had planned.....go figure!!! Well I have been pleading with God for several months....maybe even years.....throwing my little tantrums and acting like a brat wanting my way. It finally occurred to me one day.....I wouldn't let my children act like that and I certainly wouldn't listen to it.........so what made me think that God was going to jump right in and give me what I wanted. Don't misunderstand me I believe that God is very generous with His giving and likes to give us the desires of our hearts, but......the heart has to be in the right place to receive the gifts.......HELLO!!!!! Steph how many time do you have to learn that lesson?????

So I conceded and prayed, God you know what needs to happen in our lives to fulfill your purpose to glorify you so let your will be done in our lives....be careful what you wish for.....one week after giving up and giving in Donnie lost his job......not quite what I had in mind.

Here is the kicker........by submitting to God and leaving it all up to Him, I knew He would see us through and lead us to an even bigger adventure (not to say I didn't have my moments......Boy did I have some moments....I still knew no matter how scary it got He was there).

I have never thought of myself as a controlling person but I sure like to try and control God....I start out asking for something and I ask and I ask and I ask.....when I don't get exactly what I want......then starts the woe is me and if you really loved me God you would make everything work the way I want it to......you must not love me......I must not be worthy........you must be mad at me (I am kinda making myself sick thinking about it). He apparently thought I was worth it or He would never have sent His son to save me.....how easily my flesh forgets that.

Does anyone else go through this or am I the only one??

I know it stems from not making time to be in fellowship with the best friend I could ever have; my sweet Jesus. I am easily distracted and entertained by things that don't really matter. When God is top priority in my life everything else falls into place with out a hitch. He had to teach me once again that He has my back and He will take care of us beyond any thing I could ever imagine.

I didn't start this post with all that in mind, but it is an important part of this whole process.....all the Glory goes to God...He is taking us on this adventure because He has things to share with us that could not have been seen had He facilitated my little ideas of what life should be. He wants so badly to share with us, Play with us and Love on us......could it get any better than that?

The Donner has started driving down to Florida today to begin our new adventure. I have to find someone to take my place at work and then get things ready here for our impending move south. I will admit I am a little scared and sad to be leaving all that I have known but I am so excited to see what God has in store for us next. My focus is on Him and my heart is trusting Him. He has proven over and over to me that by simply entrusting my life to Him, He will get us through stronger and wiser.

7 comments:

missy said...

you are not the only one who thinks like that....i think we all do from time to time!!!!! we all like a little control!!!! but in the end...it is not ours to control!!!!!
i am so happy for you both....it will be awesome!!!!
and we all like to go on vacation once in awhile.....so make sure you get us an extra bedroom!!!!!
you guys are awesome......you can do this!!!!
hang in there friend...it is a bumpy road sometimes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanking God for answered prayers and wishing you both the very best. Keep us posted.

Jacq ;) said...

I do the exact same thing!!! I bargain and plead for God to show me the way, but if its not the answer I think I want then I wonder why He never answers me!! Its very hard for me to listen to what He truly wants for me to do with my life. I struggle with it every day! I am very excited for both of you!!! Its awesome that you are looking at all of this like an adventure because that is what it is!!

missy said...

stop by my blog i have a little award for you!!!!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Bless your heart! You will love Florida. Just know my prayers are with you! blessings,Kathleen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paula said...

Wow... girl, you really shared your heart with us today!! I'm glad you did though- it makes me love you that much more!!
I'll be praying for you...(HUGS))