Thursday, August 7, 2008

A True Treasure

What fun this blogging page is and the positive feed back just adds to the fun. My friend Missy has decided to join the blogging world and I love her blog already.....once I get it figured out I will attached her blog to mine.

Missy is a dear friend and her claim to fame is that she is the first non related friend I ever spent the night with. We had to be in either 2nd or 3rd grade (please do not ask me to remember......it would take a lot of hypnosis and I would probably fall asleep instead of fall into a trance). I remember they had mules and her mom warmed the taco shells right on the stove burner (I know.....of all the things to remember you think it would be something more climactic than that).

That would make Missy my oldest friend!!! We have had parts of our lives where we have lost contact but we always seem to circle back around and for that I am truly grateful. It is the kind of friendship that is unconditional and that is a true treasure.

Missy is the friend that puts it like it is she doesn't sugar coat things just to tell me what I want to hear. I can be honest with her and know that she is not going to judge me one way or another....but she will tell me if she thinks I am CRAZY or cheer me on when my confidence is low. I can share my heart with her and she listens, that is not a quality to be taken lightly.

I have had others in my life that I have trusted with my heart and when they didn't like what I had to say they changed the dynamic of the relationship. I still love those people and wish them well but to I do not trust them as I once did and that makes me sad. I guess we all serve a purpose on our relationships with others, sometimes we are in others lives for purposes that serve us and then there are those friendships where you are to help your friend. Each one is special and hopefully there is a lesson learned by both parties. The biggest lesson is to never hold a grudge to understand that though two parties might not agree and maybe there was a betrayal by one party intentionally or unintentionally (certain points in our lives we are in self preservation mode and do not understand the full scope of our actions) it is the one holding the grudge that suffers the most. The person that chooses to be mad at the world and spend their life playing the martyr will never fully experience what life has to give, until they let loose of their convoluted thinking.

We have an obligation by being part of the human race to forgive and to show love especially when it is not that easy to show. There is no sermon that can teach as well as a life well lived and I am not talking about the things one accumulates, I am talking about the respect and compassion we give to others. Things are expendable people are not.


A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~Lois Wyse

2 comments:

Jacq ;) said...

love your blog, Steph! Its great to hear whats going on in your life! Jacquelyn

missy said...

right back at ya steph!! i hope you know that i am always there to listen and i know you are only a phone call away!! this is very fitting i think...a true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though they know you are slightly cracked!!!!!!