Sunday, August 31, 2008

Biscuit


I have shared with you about my girl Sparkles and though she will always be my girl she is not the only dog we had or have in our family. Donnie thought I needed to let you know about the others that live with us or should I say that allow us to live with them.

Today I am highlighting Biscuit, she adopted us January of 2004. She was our neighbor's across the street and they had a terrible habit of letting her run all over the neighborhood. When she would meander over to our house we would let her in to play with Sparkles for a while and then take her home. The day we were taking the kids back down to Texas after having a GREAT Christmas vacation, Chelsea happened to be looking out the window and saw Biscuit (that was not her name at the time....we are not sure what they called her) get hit and run off....talk about a bad way to start a long trip. We thought for sure that Sparkles had lost her play mate but were surprised a few days later to see that golden ball of energy show up for some playtime.


One day we noticed that the neighbor's were moving, needless to say when they moved they chose not to take their dog with them. Now we were not looking to get another dog....we had Sparkles and she was perfectly content being an only child (she didn't want to have to share her tushy rubbings). January of 2004 was a cold one and the coldest night was the night Biscuit decided that our front porch was where she wanted to hang out......we put a blanket out there but after a 1/2hr of checking her every 3min we decided that just for that night she could come in and spend the night.......do you see where I am going with this????? We are the biggest suckers when it comes to animals (I blame my Aunt Eileen for some of that.....she is infamous for taking in strays). One night has turned into 4 1/2yrs and we couldn't imagine our family with out her.

I know you are wondering where in the world did you get that name?
Donnie and I decided that since we were going to keep this orphan we needed to give her a name. My grandma always told me that breakfast was the most important meal of the day...that being said there is nothing better then having biscuits and gravy on a cold winter morning. Donnie walks into the kitchen after laboring for days on a name I happen to be getting the biscuits out of the oven and we look at each other and say "Biscuit". I know it is an odd name but it fits her to a T and she took right to it.

Biscuit is our guard dog......she is quick to show that she is in charge of our safety if someone looks suspicious......police officer's included. We have an alarm on our house and there for a while it would just go off for no reason. I had gone to run some errands one day and came home to a police officer checking things out and Biscuit was NOT happy about it. He commented on what a good watch dog she was and then he made a sudden move.....that set her off she was out to get him, she was going for the ankles.......I scream NO BISCUIT....but she got him, thankfully it was not bad and he was very understanding, he praised her for protecting me.


She can be a bully, she likes to herd us around when she wants something and she has a few other bad habits we are trying to break, despite that she is a great dog and her greatest trait is that she is a lover.....she weighs around 85 to 90lbs and thinks that she is a lap dog. She is a big dopey lovable dog and has added many a great memories to our lives.

She looks almost angelic!!!


Angel moment over!!!

2 comments:

missy said...

AAAHHHHH!!! Isn't she cute. Who's next in the spotlite????

Anonymous said...

Oh..I want a dog SO bad!! Scott wants a big dog, I want a little dog, I think we should compromise on a medium, but we'll wait another year or so until Boden is older and at least sleeping through the night..then I can start all over again with a puppy waking me up!!! on second thought??....