Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Machine

I have had various hand me down sewing machines throughout the years. I have looked longingly at the new fancy machines with all the embroidery and fancy things they do but needs outweigh wants and I have to say I really like my current machine.

What a pretty machine!!!


I was hitting garage sales one day after work a couple of summers ago and ran across this little beauty. It was a gentleman’s mother’s machine and she had taken VERY good care of it. It was like brand new and it had a cabinet to boot. I dickered with him…..which is out of my norm……he was asking $25 for the machine and I got him down to $15…….I think he was ready to be done with the garage sale. I loaded that pretty little machine up and down the road I went…….it was the first machine I had ever purchased….it was not a borrow…..it wasn’t a hand me down (I am very appreciative of both of those things but....)…….it was mine and it was such a great feeling. You fellow creative types know what I mean (I hope so or I am just a FREAK) I had bought something that would help me in my endeavor to create beautiful things (ok it was going to help with ordinary things but I like to focus on the beautiful). I think sometimes the thought process is the best…I have ideas for days but not always the now how on how to accomplish them……I tend to be very critical of myself…..I am working on it though!!!


I have helpers!!!


I pulled into the drive and asked my husband to help me get her unloaded and I must say he was quite impressed……..he thought it was a cool looking machine…..he was surprised with himself for liking my new machine so much (I was kind of worried he was going to take it to the man cave). We got her set up and she has helped me put those crazy ideas floating around in the abyss called my brain into fruition.

The messy sewing area.....yes I am missing a lampshade....it is on the list!!!!



I did have to replace her belt after a few months but this machine has been around for a while so I didn’t mind…..I hope since winter is here…..and it is here…the snow has fallen…..that I will get back up there and see what happens. I was cleaning my sewing area the other day…..sometimes I just like to organize my fabric so I can dream of what is to come…..and a little kiss from God hoped right outside my window…..a bright red Cardinal. I was sitting at my machine getting reacquainted and there he was just as happy as could be….I am taking that as a sign to get busy up there!!!



It is an odd brand….I have looked on the internet but have not come up with much on it……has anybody heard of a Coronado Sewing Machine?


A Very Very Very small pile of fabric....not even the tip of the iceberg....barely a thought about the iceberg!!!


I would like to learn a little history about it….I have had several moments at her and thought of the previous owner and the things she may have created…..should we name my beautiful machine???
Do you have any ideas?
Do you think I am off of my rocker because I want to name her???
I could be a little….but don’t tell anyone!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, what a great looking sewing machine and a great price too. Have you looked @
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sewing/msg0614134120239.html - does this help?

Princess S said...

Thanks Mildred!!! It was a very informative site...even my husband read about it....I am telling you if he could put wheels on it and drive it around he would!!!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome. Enjoy your day. I love your stash of fabric!

Paula said...

That is a beauty, Stephanie!! And no- you are not off your rocker... I have to name everything. (or at least give it a nickname.)
My mother's machine was similar to that one- right down to the cabinet.. but hers' was a Kenmore. (I don't sew with it anymore since Hubby bought me a new one.)
I can remember all the things she made with hers- dresses for me, skirts for her, and tons of stuffed animals and doll clothes....

Since your machine has that gorgeous greenish retro color, how about something like.. Pinkie Lee! (Remember "Grease"? I love that movie.)

Princess S said...

Grease was my first PG movie...I was 10 and I was spending the week with my Aunt Linda.....she bought me the album....it got me through many adolecent moments. That is a very good idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Of course you have to name her, that is a must. Hmmmm lets see maybe Connie (goes with the Coronado) or Pearl (because she is a gem) or Susie (the sweet sewing machine), ok I am done I can't think of anymore and watch TV at the same time. I also name things in my material life, like George my car and Ted the treadmill. Oh and I know the truth about all of the fabric stashed...LOL! I hope you can get some of those projects done!

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to wish you Christmas blessings.