Sunday, September 28, 2008

Healing

For years I have had annoying little health quirks and had just learned to live with them but something about turning 40 made me decide that it was time to do something about them if I could.


12years ago my Dr. told me that I had Hypothyroidism (what an ugly name), it means that my thyroid is a slug!!!! The thyroid is the air traffic center of the body, it tells all of the chemicals where to go and how much, mine decided that it was tired which in turn made me extremely tired. At the time that I was diagnosed, I was traveling a lot for my job so I just played it off as travel fatigue......I was wrong. That diagnosis has entitled me to take a little pill everyday of my life (I guess you could say it is like giving my thyroid a shot of espresso), again it is more annoying than life threatening.



Fertility.....that has been a topic that brings a twinge to my heart. Since I was a young girl the one thing that women posses has been out of whack for me. I was put on birth control when I was 12 in order to straighten it out...it worked for a while but the changes it caused to my body were not especially kind (no adolescent girl should have to go through that, there are already so many things going on with in our bodies at that time). Needless to say I stopped taking the birth control and just learned to deal with the ups and downs of the woman's gift (it really is a gift, it my be an inconvenient one but still a gift).



In 1999 I went to see a Dr. about the dreaded infertility issue, he put me on a (HORRIBLE) drug that worked, I got pregnant and it was very exciting.......but he forgot to address the real issue and I lost the baby at 11wks. The reason I had taken the fertility drug was because my body does not produce enough progesterone.....very important to have when a woman first gets pregnant it is instrumental in the development of the baby. I asked a couple of Dr.'s about why I miscarried, should I have been taking more progesterone when I got pregnant? I got the same answer by each Dr. "your body automatically produces it when you get pregnant", if my body could not produce it with out drugs before how in the world was it going to start producing it now????



After the miscarriage I started back up on the fertility drugs and like my adolescent experience with hormones I was seeing changes that were not exactly pleasant....the weight gain was BAD along with horrible mood swings (only heightened by the weight gain)....it was not a good time in my life....it was only by the grace of God that I made it through.



I have felt the effects of that time for quite a few years and I tend to be a self medicator but I just couldn't get over the being tired and not being able to lose weight......I tried everything. I was working out daily, didn't eat a lot of sweets, I didn't drink pop (I don't like the fizzy) and I ate fruits and vegetables (I like them!!!) with my lean proteins but when I would only lose 1lb. a month it got pretty discouraging. That is when I met an Angel Dr. Kelly McCone!!!!



What lead to this meeting was a terrible muscle pain around my right shoulder and up my neck. I had dealt with it for about a year and the Donner was getting sick of me complaining so I researched on our insurance website and found Dr. McCone, she specialized in Chiropractic, Acupuncture and Nutrition plus she was just down the street from my job (don't tell me there is no divine intervention).



After my first meeting with her I felt more hopeful than I ever had with any other Dr. and I knew I was on the road to recovery. She listened to what I was saying, she was interested in helping me heal....she didn't just give me a pill and say come back if this doesn't work.



Soapbox moment coming.......I have a big beef with modern medicine, it seems that they are quick to fill us with drugs and send us on our way. The relationship between Dr.'s and their patients are very sterile anymore, it is more about putting a band aid on the problem instead of finding real and lasting healing.......sorry but it is frustrating!!! Soapbox moment over.



Dr. McCone is very personable and she is just as excited for a patient to find their healing as they are. She started out adjusting me.....my body really needed that....then she had me fill out a form to see where I might be lacking in nutrition......again I really needed that......then came the acupuncture......I AM A BELIEVER!!! My sinuses were the first thing she started on....for years I had horrible sinus headaches but being the martyr that I am I just dealt with it..........not anymore between the acupuncture and the Neti Pot I have headaches very few and far between. Then she started on other problem areas.....this has not been a quick process but I have seen more results in the last 6 months than I had ever seen. The greatest thing is how much my mood has stabilized (not to say I don't have some unstable days). I don't feel lethargic all of the time....I have energy and I want to do things.......I feel like I am back to having a life.....that is a great feeling!!!!



Attack those sinuses!!!!

It doesn't hurt like you think it would...more crampy than stingy.................that is a good thing Dr. McCone assures me......oh what we go through to have healthy bodies!!!

2 comments:

missy said...

oh my gosh girl.....i was right there with you until i saw the pictures thinking maybe i could check this doctor out.....not sure about that!!!! good luck and i hope it all is going great!!! boy when i started reading i thought oh my gosh.....she is going to tell us they are having a baby!!! good luck with everything and i hope you are feeling better...see ya soon!!!!

Jacq ;) said...

I am so sorry to hear about your baby! No one should ever have to go through all that!! After Liv was born, we were not able to have any more kids (I tried all the fertility "fixes" too - what a mess!) I remember the heartache & disappointment. I'm glad to hear you are on the road to feeling better!!!