Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Dresser

I like unique things and that runs true in every area of my life from people to things. I worked for Olan Mills in the Church Directory branch when I meet my husband (that story to come later) and traveled all over Iowa (a place I hold dear in my heart, another post for later).

During my travels I would stumble onto the neatest places, one of my favorites is Sisters Garden, it sets on HWY 1 between Kalona, IA and Iowa City, IA. There are a group of sisters (hence the name) that have taken an old farm house and converted into a little oasis of pretty things. What first made me look at the house with some interest was the fact that it had big beautiful irises painted on the side of it (how could that not catch someones attention?).

On a rare day that I was running ahead of schedule I decided to stop.....I was hooked the moment I opened the door and smelled the lovely scent of candles, heard the soft music and saw the oodles and oodles of treasures for me to explore.......I like old junk and this was the mother ship......I was sure I was being called home. I meandered from room to room falling in love with each new item I found , it was heaven!!!! I soon made it to the second floor and was enjoying my new happy place when I walked around a corner and there it was....the most beautiful dresser I had ever seen.....I was smitten instantly......it stood there with the signature big painted irises on it!!!!



It was more then I had ever spent on any piece of furniture (Queen of Hand Me Downs at your service) but I couldn't abandon it.......it called to me saying "Please do not leave me!!!!" I being a sucker for all things desperate could not leave it so it would soon become one of my most prized possessions. The apartment I rented at the time had the perfect place in the bathroom for that enchanting piece of art and everyday I would gaze at its beauty (if there is one room that requires some extra beauty that would be the one). The dresser is now used in my bedroom but once my oasis of creativity is completed it will go down there to help inspire new projects.



I have some more art painted by the same sister, I will try to get pictures taken of them and posted in the future.....they just make me so happy when I gaze upon them (maybe I should do a little less gazing and a lot more cleaning!). I can't wait to get back to Sisters Garden and see what other treasures I may find......is anyone ready to go with me?

1 comment:

missy said...

you name the time and the iowa girls will be there....or at least one of will!!!! love it!!! hope to see ya soon!!!