Friday, January 9, 2009

Someday


This picture was in a bunch of my grandma's pictures but I am not sure who this couple is. It is on a postcard and from what I can discern that was common practice back in the old days. We have found a lot of pictures that have been made into postcards; not just portraits but daily life like the picture above.

I wonder if some day that will be the Donner and me? We will be sitting on our stoup with laptops reading the news.........do they even have stoups anymore?

I think that is part of the problem with our society, we are connected on the run.....what happened to the days of sitting on the front porch and talking to your neighbors and taking the time to listen to their responses?

I know we have gained much with the information age but has the price been bigger than the gain?

Perhaps I just have an old soul.

What do you think are we more connected or more disconnected?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention sitting on the porch and visiting with neighbors...my sister and I were just talking about how growing up in the 60's, so much time was spent sitting in porch rockers shelling peas stringing beans or just talking. Each passer-by would wave whether they knew you or not! Nowdays, it's rare that we even see our neighbors, let alone take time to sit and visit. Thanks for the memory.

Geri said...

I think it's a little of both - if that makes any sense. We are better able to stay in touch with family and friends across the country but may not know our neighbors. We use to know everyone who lived up and down the street for blocks but now may not know the people next door or across the street. I love the internet and can't imagine being without a computer but I think it is sad that we have lost that connection with our neighbors.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love old photos and I am sure you and Donner will be sitting out together and one day your grandchildren will be looking at your picture! Have a wonderful weekend, blessings, Kathleen

Eggs In My Pocket said...

1-11-09
Hi, I just had to come back and visit today after I read your comment to Boo about Queen Sparkles! So sweet, it made me teary eyed! It is hard to let go, isn't it? Have a good week, blessings, Kathleen